Our RV Travels

Updates on our Full-Time RV'ing lifestyle. Feel free to add your comments, replies and stories of your own.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

August 28

August 27 Sheridan, WY
Woke to a somewhat chilly morning - 30 degrees according to a trucker parked nearby, but sun shining on the hills is very pretty. I let Loretta sleep in this morning so it was about 9 by the time we got on the road. We proceeded to Belgrade, MT - just west of Bozeman for our breakfast stop. There I called Fred Cady KE7X, an amateur radio operator that formerly lived in Mayville, not far from where we lived when in NY. He came to visit and we had a great time rehashing the old days and catching up on current activities. While there I also purchased an antenna and mount for the cell phone that hopefully will help when we are in weak signal areas.
We spent over 3 hours there and by the time we left, it had become overcast which followed us the rest of the day in varying amounts. Only rain though was a few light sprinkles in the early evening. East of Bozeman we had a steep climb over the mountain pass and almost 10 miles at 25MPH down the other side. But the scenery was fantastic with wooded hills, rugged mountains - many with snow-capped peaks, rolling plains and verdant farmland along the Yellowstone River, which we followed for many miles. We made our lunch stop west of Billings, and then proceed up onto what I would call “high plains”. There we encountered lots of pastureland, cattle and horses interspersed with dry land farming (the land along the river bottom was mostly irrigated). But it appeared there had been a fair amount of rain for this time of year as the crops and pastures looked very good. Not a great amount of wildlife again - a few deer and small animals including a couple of porcupine. Possibly some of the horses seen were wild ones and we did encounter a herd of antelope. Yesterday we had traveled through an area the looked ideal for Moose, but as usual none were to be seen.
I decided to continue to Sheridan, WY to make up for some of the time lost. By the time we arrived at about 8PM, it was becoming dark. But we did get to view the distant mountains in the last light, which was a great experience also. Due to the lateness of the hour, we located the Wal-Mart here where we got a snack then called it a day. For some reason, I still am not getting charge voltage from the truck to the trailer. Everything at the truck end checks out OK, so suspect a connection at the trailer end. So I used jumper cables to charge the trailer batteries before shutting down.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home