Our RV Travels

Updates on our Full-Time RV'ing lifestyle. Feel free to add your comments, replies and stories of your own.

Saturday, July 06, 2019

Don't Know where to start

Didn't realize it has been this long since an update.
Had good time here in WNY last year.  in addition to visiting family and friends.  I attended Teamsters Retirees Picnic.  Class of 51 annual reunion and Loretta's family reunion.  I assisted Tom, my host with several antenna projects.  A visitor had brought his dog which wrapped his rope around mt legs.  I fell onto a concrete patio injuring my right wrist (that is still bothering me).    So trip to ER to find nothing broken, but tendon damaged.  I was told that it could be repaired but I would be in a cast for months.  Selected a brace on wrist and a month of PT. 

When I left here, I went to Fairfax County, VA to visit old friends Al and Chris Anderson.  On way in Warren, Pa when making a turn a PU with trailer was parked too close to corner.  I watched and felt I had passed OK.  A bit down the road I was flagged over and told awning arm was flapping. He secured it as I couldn't do much with brace on wrist.  Before he finished, the man with trailer pulled up and said I had struck his trailer.  There was a post on rear corner with a light on top that I had been unable to see.  As light was broken, I =gave him some money to repair that.  The awning arm had gone through the sidewall of trailer.

When I got to VA, I contacted insurance company and sent pictures.  $2100.00 damage so I received $1600.00 for repairs.  BUT insurance premium was raised $150/month for next 3 years - (lost there).  After a nice visit with the Andersons, I headed for TN.  I stopped at a truck stop for night and backed into a high curb, damaging ladder and stabilizer jacks.

Stay in TN was usual stuff,  shopping, doctors, church and so forth.  then 1223 Feb 2019 the Duck River came to visit.  This had happened last April, but that time didn't get to bottom of trailer.  This time, I ended up with 1.5' of water in living room.  My electric meter was about 1' under water, but I still had electricity.  My refrigerator and microwave were still working so I could exist.  A few days the fire department evacuated me and I went to daughter Sharon's place near Pulaski for  a few days.

I then stayed with friends from church 2 more days before returning home.  The furnace and water heater was NOT working and one space heater quit.  So stayed at the State Park 2 cold nights.  My truck had been parked in front of trailer and water had gotten into fuel, oil pan and ??.  I decided NOT to see-if it would run.  the insurance company had it taken by wrecker to nearby repair shop.

They totaled the 5th wheel trailer and I expected the same with truck as it was over 20 years old and had over 300,000 miles.  But they authorized almost $14,000.00 repairs.  I was without truck almost 2 months but did have rental car furnished for most.  Then a few weeks later, the parking brake wouldn't release.  It was towed to another shop as I was in Columbia at the time.   It took over a week to locate part and do repair - another $1000+.  To make matters worse, I backed into an obstruction in a rainstorm which required almost $1000 body work.


2 days in the trailer with water up to my knees wasn't too good.  then I had to remove everything from storage compartments.  Lots of bending and lifting,  So I ended up very lame and still am a bit.  Pam, the campground owner and myself then spent loads of time and miles searching for a replacement 5th wheel trailer.  Finally selected one in Manchester, TN that was 2 years newer nd well maintained.  So  I took that to campground and transferred everything left from old trailer.  Then moved it to my site and loaded everything from ground into the compartments on new one. 

By then it was time to get ready for trip to here in NY.   Roads are better than last year, but still had some glass breakage in trailer.  I left TN Wed the 26th in afternoon and drove to KY that day.  Thursday I was making pretty good time  when I ran into a heavy rainstorm south of Columbus, OH.  5 lanes of traffic that did NOT slow, it STOPPED.  I was not able to stop before striking andther vehicle.  By time the deputy let me go, I had lost 2 hours.  Rain had stopped, but spent night north of Columbus.  Friday I came up tot the mountain near Frewsburg, NY.

I got set up and visited and went to church here.  Monday a trip to Warren for shopping.  Tuesday I planned a trip to tire store.  One tire had been loosing air when setting, but hadn't for 3 days..  I went out and looked to find tire was down.  I started truck to build air up and went to find that I would be unable to put air in tire. So I had tire store send road service with new tire.  As they couldn't take me at the shop that day, I went in Wednesday.  I got the 2nd front tire and was going to have wheel alignment.  But found tie rod bent.  Must be that little Honda I hit caused that.  So to International shop to order tie rod and some other parts.  doing various things around here, visiting and graduation party for friend.

Next week I have the Teamsters Retirees Picnic and Class reunion to attend.  also some visiting, church and shopping.  


Guess that catches me up.  Sorry for delay
GOD Bless all
Andy W2UCZ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home